Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Ends and Beginnings

It is official: I have sworn to serve in Madagascar as a Peace Corps Volunteer for the next 2 years. Training is finally over and it is bittersweet. For over 10 weeks, 23 of us have spent every moment together, learning Malagasy, struggling with host families, sitting through hours of sessions, and trying not to kill each other. We are ready to get away and regain our independence--to begin our actual lives in Madagasikara. But at the same time, we HAVE been with each other for over 10 weeks and it is only a matter of days before we are alone in a village. I am ready to move to Mahabo, but I know I will miss all of my stagemates. But for now I'm just excited to get to move forward and start DOING something. They say training is the hardest part of service, and I believe it. I am ready to start doing my job--to start actually helping people. This morning I sworn in at the Ambassador's house, and on Thursday I fly to Morondava. By the weekend, I will move into my house, adjust to my new life, and start preparing for my first day of school. I'm sure I'll have plenty to tell you within a month. For now, I will leave you with some tidbits from training. Drop me a line at my new address! I'll have more time to write back now that training does not rule my life. Miss you all :)

No comments: