Monday, November 24, 2008

New Beginnings

(So FYI I wrote these next blogs earlier this fall, but waited until I was in America--aka the land of free internet--to post them)

After spending the summer with other people, coming home has been a refreshing but difficult adjustment. I guess I forgot how lonely it can be as the only vazaha in a large village! (I tried calling it a small town once and was shot down by our Malagasy Peace Corps doctor who downgraded Mahabo to a large village . . . whatever--not bitter at all.) It didn't help that half my classes weren't able to start this week (aka the first week of classes). LOTS of free time. That and my proviseur (my best friend in Mahabo) is away for the week--aka no bonding / summer catch up time. THere have definitely been moments of near-panic at the sudden quietness and lack of activity in my life! Ah, well. Once again finding the beauty of stillness . . .

Of course, it hasn't been ALL quiet. My older students started this week. They were rather quiet--and are doing HOMEWORK this weekend. This year I have the two grade levels with national exams (to finish middle school and high school), plus another high school grade. I mean, technically I'm not supposed to teach the exam classes--but the only other English teacher retired, so having non-exam focused Peace Corps English classes is better than no English at all, right?

So this means I have ALL new students (okay, exxcept for those who flunked . . . but that doesn't count). Which means I'll have taught over 1000 of the students in town--and all of my middle/high school students except the two youngest years. Crazy, right? But it's STRANGE being in one of the same classrooms with new students . . . And I LOVE running across old students. I count it as a success when they ask me to teach them again. Okay, maybe they just miss watching me sing and dance and make funny noises for them. I still count that as a success. My students really are the sunshine of my life--I guess I just need time to get to the new ones . . . And while yes I agree (Emily) that teachers need a break (I was certainly ready for it in June!), 3 months without my students was SAD--and 3 months without work nearly made me lose my mind! Even if I DID do that whole lemur thing for a huge chunk of that time. Let's face it--one week without work is even pushing it for me. Ah, the price you pay when you're a workaholic living in a large village in Africa . . . I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts on the new students some time . . .

Also on the agenda this week has been enjoying my new hammock. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. There are these women with sewing machines (and we're not talking electric--you turn these babies with your hand--as you sew) who chill on street corners and sew stuff for you. So I bought fabric and cord and explained what I wanted--and paid this woman a couple bucks to make me a new hammock. It's great! More comfortable AND it matches my house! Did I mention I added more color? I'll try to get you pictures . . .

I ALSO have a new solar oven! Might as well put that sunshine to work, right? I've made refried beans (for the Mexican I crave so often) and herb and onion break--and I'm making pizza and cinnamon swirl bread this weekend. It's wonderful!

One of my younger students from last year has been coming over lately--to watch movies, play games, listen to music, or do Pilates and yoga with me. She prefers yoga when it's just the two of us, as opposed to us and a crowd of giggling girls (and boys trying to watch). I'll often walk to town with her afterwards--an excuse to get out of the house!

Speaking of which, I am currently at a hotely, watching 5 million kids go home (the private schools started sooner than we did). And a crowd is heading to a funeral. It's the older brother of my neighbor. I call him Ramose--aka Sir. He calls me his child. I know they're all going because the women are wearing lambas--just like I knew it was a funeral the first day it started by the wailing and crowds of people. That being said, they deal with death well here. They are more often celebrating ancestors than mourning the dead. And when a stranger learned that my grandfather died recently, his quick response was, "It's okay--that's what old people are SUPPOSED to do." Good point.

There are piles of red dirt in the road. I think they are trying to fix the road--which would be INCREDIBLE. I'll take a picture of it for you--how bad the roads are here. I think we should win a prize or something. . . I swear it makes us badass. Somehow.

I also visited my friends the Catholic fathers (the one in particular is my close friend--I call him--and the others--"Mompera"--which is Gasy for "Mon Pere"--which is French for "My Father"). He's the one I worked for at the private school last year. They are Indian missionaries and speak English with me while giving me coke. The soft drink, not the drug. VERY kind people I'm lucky to have as friends.

Okay. Well, those are some little updates for you. And by little I mean that was way too long, sorry. I'll try to give you something more entertaining later . . . .

No comments: