Friday, July 27, 2007

Business: to let you know I am alive

My sincere apologies to those of you who were curious over the past month or so. I am in training until the end of August (I swear in August 28th!), and it's pretty much boot camp. They have slightly over two months to teach us enough to send us into the middle of nwhere all by ourselves for 2 years. Ha. Plus there's no internet, so please understand the light gap in communication. Let me update you quickly (we're in Tana briefly for a yellow fever shot):

1. Thank you thank you thank you to everyone who's sent me mail. It literally brightens my day (Amy I am still GLOWING from your care package) and reminds me that I'm not SO far away. Okay I am. But seriuosly--thanks. I will write back as soon as I can. Please keep writing!

2. I would just like to point out that I will come home fluent in Malagasy--a language only spoken on one island in the world. Ha. Whatever--I'll just get in the habit of talking to myself in Malagasy.

3. My new home!! YAY. Okay. So in September I will be moving to the city (of 6,000) where I'll be living for two years: Mahabo. It's 45km from Morondava on the west coast. I will be visiting it in about a week and will tell you more eventually. I hear it's so hot on the coast that you just drip sweat constantly. YUM.

4. Morondava is my banking town so I'll be there about once a month and there is internet there so that's how often I'll eventually be updating.

So now you know.


OH, and fyi training right now is in a city called Manjakandriana. I live with a GREAT family--I have 3 brothers (including twins), 2 sisters, a brother-in-law, a nephew--though the number living with us varies. My Dadanaivo makes me corn when he thinks I'm down, my Neny never believes me when I say I'm full, and one of the twins (Faniry, age 14) and I are pretty much bff. I really lucked out.

No comments: