Friday, July 27, 2007

Pardon my French (or, my first time teaching)

I figure I have to give you at least one story. so here it is: the first day we taught in practicum (oh--fyi I'm teaching English here), we had to do something random. So I taught them this camp song called Herman the Worm in which a worm eats his entire family. So I was explaining the story to them, and we got to the word worm, and I drew a picture, and they shouted out a Malagasy word. Now, I suspected it's meaning, but instead of clarifying or explaining, I paused awkwardly then moved on, leaving them to believe the song actually means Herman the Shit. Yes, the shit. Sixty Malagasy children can now sing a song in which a shit eats its dad. AWESOME. I know you now feel better about the world.

4 comments:

An American in Scotland: Fringe Blogger said...

B darling,

This is the funniest thing I have read all week!!!

You eat and shit, what happens when shit eats YOU!?!?!?

Makes perfect sense to me : )

Unknown said...

That is HILARIOUS!

I will now think of Malaghase children and shit every time I sing my favorite camp song. Thanks.

Now I know what I've been missing all summer- You and your updates. I'm apparently unable to remember to check blogs, so its good that you now have to email!

zbiczmichael@gmail.com said...

Totally made my day. Wow.

jmaNeverDie said...

Okay, as your father I must protest your use of certain four-letter words: people at church want to read this! When I substitute more acceptable (to me) (four-letter) words it is funny thinking about those kids going home with, "Guess what that American lady taught us to sing!"